One opportunity at a time: Ashlee Matapo’s rise in Rugby League

Ashlee Matapo with her parents and siblings, whose love and support have been central to her journey. Photo: Facebook

From being the only girl on the field to making her mark on the NRLW stage, Ashlee Matapo has never been afraid to back herself.

At 19, Ashlee Matapo has already achieved plenty in a short rugby league career.

She joined the New Zealand Warriors as a development player in 2025, without expecting to play NRLW that season.

But an opportunity came her way and she made her debut against the Sydney Roosters in Round 1.

She went on to make eight appearances in her rookie season, finishing with 138 tackles and just one miss, a 99.2 per cent tackle efficiency.

Matapo made eight appearances for the Warriors in her rookie NRLW season.

“Getting the opportunity to debut was pretty special,” she says.

“It proved to me that hard work really does pay off, even when you don’t necessarily know where it’s going to take you.”

Her breakthrough season also saw her make her Test debut for Cook Islands Moana at the 2025 Pacific Championships.

She played both matches as Moana claimed the Women’s Pacific Bowl in Port Moresby, recording 18 tackles against Papua New Guinea and another 15 against Tonga.

It’s been a rapid rise for someone who came into professional league from a strong rugby union background.

Matapo made her international debut for Cook Islands Moana at the 2025 Pacific Championships, helping the side claim the Women’s Pacific Bowl. Photo: Warriros

“I mainly played union and only really played league through tournaments, so coming into the professional league environment last year meant there was a lot I had to learn,” she says.

“It wasn’t just about learning how to play the game – it was understanding my role in league, building my footy IQ and learning how to think about the game differently.”

Her rugby journey began long before the Warriors, with an attempt at ballet.

“My mum tried putting me into ballet when I was little, and they very quickly realised that wasn’t for me,” she says.

Her dad eventually put her into rugby alongside her older brother, and growing up on Auckland’s North Shore, the sport became a huge part of family life.

She was often the only girl in her teams.

“I liked being different and being able to hold my own in a space that was mostly boys.”

Matapo during her early rugby journey with Auckland FPC. Photo: Facebook

Growing up, she says there weren’t always clear pathways for girls wanting to pursue rugby.

She played both union and league, kept learning and took every opportunity that came her way.

“I didn’t have a clear picture of where I would end up playing rugby, but I kept doing my extras, trusted the process, and tried to take every opportunity that was given.”

Her family has been central to her journey, with her dad her biggest rugby influence and her wider family supporting her along the way.

Her Samoan and Cook Islands heritage is also a strong part of her identity, shaped by grandparents who left the islands for New Zealand to create better opportunities for their children and grandchildren.

“Seeing them proud is one of the most meaningful parts of what I do.”

Representing her culture means carrying those family values with her every time she takes the field.

“Every time I take the field, I know I’m not just representing myself, I’m representing my family, my Samoan and Cook Islands culture, and everything that came before me.”

For Matapo, representing Cook Islands and her Samoan heritage is about carrying her family’s values with her onto the field.

The Warriors have since extended her contract through to the end of 2027.

Now, she’s focused on continuing to develop her game, with one major ambition in sight.

“One of my big goals is to represent the Kiwi Ferns one day,” she says.

“For now I’m just focused on putting the work in, continuing to learn and seeing how far I can take it.”

And for the Pacific girls watching her journey, her message is simple.

“Don’t feel like you have to fit a certain mould to belong in the game.

“Back yourself and remember where you come from. Your family and your culture can be a huge part of your strength, so carry that with you.”



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leonardo da Vinci May Become the Face of Future Euro Banknotes

OMC, Nesian Mystik, Scribe, Brooke Fraser, Aradhna, Adeaze, Feature in 50 Iconic Aotearoa Music Moments  

The Storied Collection of Museu de Arte Moderna in Rio’s Founder Heads to Auction at Sotheby’s Paris